Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a bisque dolls head with the markings: K (Star of

Customer Question

Customer: I have a bisque dolls head with the markings: K (Star of ***** *****) R and below that Simon Halbig 117. and below that repro by Gertrude Johnson 1987. Why was a doll with the Star of ***** ***** made and for whom? Who was Gertrude Johnson. Was either Halbig or the Krammer & Reinhardt company Jewish. If so, what happened to the company and the individuals once the Nazi's took power? J. Keck.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The head lacks hair and is attached to a pedestal, which conforms to the upper part of a torso. My interest in both the doll and the Star of ***** ***** and if Halbig/ Krammer & Reinhardt were Jewish relate to the unique circumstances by which the head came to me. As an author, the novella has a Jewish subplot. The cover designer, according to him, unwittingly purchased the head not knowing about the Star of ***** *****. The subplot has to do with a young woman's Jewish background: her mother's survival during the Nazi reign of terror. I found it an odd coincidence this particular doll's head was the one he purchased, then gave over to me after the story had been written. As I mentioned he wasn't even aware of the doll's markings on the back of its head when he gave it over to me. J. Keck.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, though I must leave within the next twenty minutes. Thank you, ***** *****
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora