Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a round Duncan Phyfe style table. It is a birdcage

Customer Question

I have a round Duncan Phyfe style table. It is a birdcage pedestal base and is 60 inches across. I believe it to be Rosewood and a burled wood as well. It does have six columns and legs where I am only finding four on other tables. I am looking for a retail valuation as I will be selling it shortly. I previously sent it off to a different company however their valuation was way off as they only said it had four legs and did not mention the birdcage pedestal.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Thank you for the information and photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back in 30 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

See the following photo.

The round custom-made table is much larger than yours - 108" in diameter. Still it has only 4 legs. It is mahogany banded with satinwood.

Note the retail price is $16,500.

Taking into consideration its larger size but has only 4 legs and the fact that yours is rosewood and burled wood banded, the price would be comparable to yours.

Thus, the retail price of yours would be $16,500.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have seen multiple table like this online and they have gone from 2 to 10k. I am looking to sell it but feel this may be a bit high for the valuation. Selling it what do you feel I should ask

Start at $12,000 and state "OBO," meaning "or best offer."

You can always come down.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Goantiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
cyberattic.com
collectoronline.com
collect.com
trocadero.com

Another method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris