Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a Gorham spoon (12" ) with - Rochambeau - To Lt. Gov.

Customer Question

I have a Gorham spoon (12" long) with - Rochambeau - To Lt. Gov. Jabez Bowen - Initials that look like R.F.- date 1780. On the back is the Crest at the end of the handle and on the narrow area is the name GORHAM (recessed) and the letter E then an Anchor & the letter P (also recessed), and finally an engraved letter N & the number 16. Is there a value to this item. Thank you for your time.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Please send me photos of the marks and the design.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My e-mail Server is currently down for repair in my area, so I cannot get on the browser. It has been down since yesterday evening. May I send pictures at a later time?

Of course. There is no hurry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are the pictures you requested. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the photos. Unfortunately, I cannot read the important part - the hallmarks.

Please sketch these marks and send me a photo of the sketch.

Kind regards,

Doris

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Please do not rate me down because I released your question. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Gorham spoon.

Thanks for the description and the photos, I know exactly what you have.

This is an authentic vintage reproduction, made by Gorham some time between 1930 and the 1960s, of a well known spoon called The Rochambeau Presentation Spoon which is now part of the permanent collection of the Newport Historical Society museum in Rhode Island.

The original spoon belonged to General Count de Rochambeau. It was part of the huge canteen of silver he took with him on his military campaigns (as one typically did in those days if one was a wealthy aristocratic military officer).

He was one of the French commanders who came to the aid of the colonists during the War for Independence. When in Rhode Island, he became great friends of the Jabez Bowens family of Providence and was their guest on many occasions. As a token of his gratitude for all her hospitality General Rochambeau gave Mrs. Jabez Bowen a large spoon (this size of spoon is known as a "stuffing spoon") from his personal canteen. Bowen descendants treasured the spoon for many years, had it engraved with the inscription you see on the handle, and eventually donated it to the Newport Historical Society.

Your replica by Gorham is a faithful copy in a silver plated nickel alloy: the "EP" flanking the anchor stands for "Electro-Plated". The original, of course, would have been solid coin or sterling silver.

Reproductions of this spoon were made by the Gorham Silver Co. between the mid 1930s and 1960 and they often turn up for sale on the secondary market (auctions and eBay etc) where they typically sell in the range of $30 - $40 particularly if they still have their original felt sleeve and presentation box.

If you saw yours for sale in an antique store it would have a full retail price tag of about $80. This is also the replacement value and what you should insure it for.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any significance to the number 16 on the spoon?

Gorham typically marked their pieces with internal factory codes for their molds, which this "16" no doubt is. There's often an "N" stamped in the spoon too, "N 16" being the complete mold number.