AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a dining room set. Table, chairs, coffee cart,

Customer Question

I have a dining room set. Table, chairs, coffee cart, sideboard. It's about 70 years old. How do I know if it is worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

First, I'll need to see an overall photo of the set, or a couple of photos, so I can see all the pieces.

Second, are there any marks, stamps, or labels? The best places to look are underneath the table, underneath the top of the coffee cart, and inside any drawers/doors on the sideboard or coffee cart.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a marking that says NO 910 Buffet. I can't find anything else.

Thank you.

Are you looking for a retail value for insurance purposes, or a price for possible resale?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Resale please

Thank you.

This is a 1940s Duncan Phyfe/Sheraton style nine-piece dining set, probably mahogany veneer, mass/factory produced.

Unfortunately, the resale for these is not very good, particularly as you are limited to a very local market due to transportation issues. Depending on the locality/local economy, I'd expect a resale for the set in the range of $750-$1000.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! We just bought a Restoration Hardware set and wanted to make sure we weren't throwing away a gold mine by giving it away free.

Not at all, but if you donate it for "related use," say to a Goodwill or a shelter, you can use the $1,000 figure as a tax deduction.

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Jennifer