Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

Judith. I have a set of Stanley's In Darkest Africa.

Customer Question

Hi Judith. I have a set of Henry Stanley's In Darkest Africa. I'm wondering what their value may be. Pictures are attached. Thanks, maggie
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maggie,

I'm happy to help!

This is certainly a desirable set of books. The only problem is that these books are not in top condition. I can see general foxing (browning) and wear and nicks to the bindings.

In the condition pictured, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of this set is approximately $6,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $2,400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Maggie.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Maggie,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.