LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have two prints, possibly lithograph prints titled "The

Customer Question

I have two prints, possibly lithograph prints titled "The Industrious Fisherman" and "The Fortunate Fisherman" Can you give us some info on the artist. We can't find anything on the web. My husband thinks it may be Stansbury Norse
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 12 months ago.

Hello my ne is Tanya I am one of the expert appraisers here at just answer. i would be happy to help you. What are measurements of your print? I will reply back here shortly on the artist. And once I have the size I can give you an accurate value. Thank you

Hello, I do believe the photo of the print you have is a lithograph. The time period and lighting on the print prove to be lithograph rather then just a print. The artist Stansbury Norse was known for landscapes and Marine subjects. He was born in 1843 and died in 1911. He was active and lived in New York. The age of this lithograph I would say is 1890-1895. The frame you have is roughly the same age and the frame is done with wood and then a form of plaster is smoothed over the top then painted. It looks to be good condition overall from the photo.

Lithography was invented around 1796 in Germany by an otherwise unknown Bavarian playwright, Alois Senefelder, who accidentally discovered that he could duplicate his scripts by writing them in greasy crayon on slabs of limestone and then printing them with rolled-on ink. Because the local limestone retained so relentlessly any crayon marks applied to its surface, even after repeated inking and printing, lithographs (so called from the Latin for stone, litho, and mark, graph) could be printed in almost unlimited quantities.Thanks to ease of production and economical distribution, it did not take long for lithography to find a broad range of applications in art and commerce. As a means of multiplying drawings, it was embraced by portraitists and illustrators, especially those associated with the popular press, and it proved an effective means of graphic invention for many of the period's greatest artists.

Please let me know the size of the pieces and I can give you an accurate value of the on in the photo. Is the other one about the same condition and framed?

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello I wanted to check in and see if you had measurements and photos of these prints please let me know. If I have answered you completely please go ahead and rate my answers.

********

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.