LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I also have the Horse & Buggy Days picture. It was purchased

Customer Question

I also have the Horse & Buggy Days picture. It was purchased in the early 1960's by my mother with blue chip stamps. It is in the original frame and in perfect condition. No scratches or dings. When I've tried to research it, there are so many different dollar amounts, ranging from $20-$200 or higher. How do I know if I have something of value, other than the obvious sentimental value of something that my mom bought when I was a kid and I'm now 65.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. Can you post a photo of the picture and also is it signed anywhere? numbered anywhere? These will help me in evaluating and giving you an accurate value. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a picture. I can take a picture with my cell phone but I don't know how to put it on the computer. My son will know how to do that but I'm not going to see him until Friday. I hope I can still contact you then. As far as being signed, yes it is. It's in the lower left corner. It's signed Paul Detlefsen. The P and D are in red and the rest in green. There's also a little metal plate in the center of the frame at the bottom that says Horse and Buggy Days and underneath that Paul Detlefsen. If it's number, would that be on the back. I'll have to get my son to take it off the wall because it's pretty large and I can't do it by myself.

Thank you I will use rhe information you have given and see what I can do to help you. I may be able to work around the needing of a photo. I will post back tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 12 months ago.

The value on the Horse and Buggy Days print is $750.00 and I found the following information on the original prints that came out in the 1960s:

A vintage framed print of Paul Detlefsen’s wonderful Americana painting; “Horse & Buggy Days” was purchased last week at a Charlotte area auction for $2. While there are new poster versions of the print available online these days for as little as $14.99, this is an original copy of the painting and was made in the 1960’s. The original painting itself is estimated to be worth between $20,000 and $60,000.

Detlefsen was born in either 1899 or 1900 depending on what source you trust. He became famous throughout the US for bright reds and greens in his “down home” country scenes. This was especially poignant as he painted through the tough times of the depression, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

Born in Denmark, he became famous for his backdrop work on films such as The Adventures of Mark Twain. He later became great friends with Walt Disney before Paul died in 1986. He painted up until the last days of his life, became an American citizen and was known to love the US as if he were native.

Horse and Buggy Days is seen as a classic example of his Americana paintings and hung over many mantles in the 60’s, 70’s, and still today. Prices vary greatly on the original prints which unusually contained brush strokes and are often confused with the actual painting. In general these prints, with original frames, sell for as much as $750 depending on condition.

Here is a brief biography I found on the artist:

Many may not know his name, but the serene, nostalgic charm of Paul Detlefsen's paintings is familiar to just about everyone. It is no surprise since he was one of the most widely reprinted artists or our century. His art was lithographed into reproductions, calendars, jigsaw puzzles, playing cards, and even place mats for the table. Paul Detlefsen, I am proud to say, moved to Hollywood, California after completing high school and some training at the Chicago Art Institute. There he worked a long and happy career in special effects.

After 30 years he retired and began a new career as a calendar artist. In Detlefsen's own words: "And so it is that I set out to 'dream up' beautiful places and try to make them come to life in my paintings . . . concentrating on realism, beauty and nostalgia. What I hope for most is that people will look at my paintings, smile and say: 'I'd like to be there!'"

Paul and his wife, Shelly, moved to Del Mar in 1964 where he continued his painting till passing on in 1986. Shelly was also a very talented artist. His only daughter, Karen Kozlow, has been an artist her entire life, creating in may different mediums, but settling on bright and whimsical ceramics for the last 20 years.

Quick Facts for Paul Detlefsen

Birth / Death: 1899 Chicago, Illinois - 1986 San Diego, California

Methods for Paul Detlefsen

Easel Painting

Illustration, Illustrator

Media for Paul Detlefsen

Oil Paint

Subjects for Paul Detlefsen

Figure, Figurative, Human Figure

Genre, Human Activity

Romanticism, Idealism, Nostalgia

Geography/Places Lived and/or Worked for Paul Detlefsen

California Before 1940

Hawaiian Islands and/or South Seas, Tahiti

Russia

Schools for Paul Detlefsen

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Student

Chronology for Paul Detlefsen

Early 20th Century Before 1950

Late 20th Century After 1950

Added Description for Paul Detlefsen

Genre Specialty

Illustration Specialty

Walt Disney Studio, Productions/Commissioned Artist

********

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answeras this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you inanswering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I haveanswered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allowme to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customersand do my best to fully answer all questions.