Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Doris trying to get a sense of a china set I have it is

Customer Question

Hi Doris trying to get a sense of a china set I have it is stamped made in czechoslovakia and the soup bowls are stamped #13 - side plates are also stamped with the same number. Without pulling out the whole set it looks like I have full service for 10 plus serving platters, cups, suacers, sugar bowl, creamer, gravy boat etc
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Can you guess how many pieces each of the 10 guests has?

Please send me a photo of a bottom that shows the Czech marks.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Doris

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

Doris

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I attached two photos one shows the marks. Just says made in czechoslovakia and the number 13 stamped in gold

Thank you for the photo.

Please tell me how many pieces each guest has.

Kind regards,

Doris

Only one photo came through. It is the front of a plate.

I would like to see the bottom. The style of the writing in the mark can be important.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I just found a plate with full markings, picture here attached
Still checking how many piece per setting. I have cups and saucers and demi-tasse, 2 handled soup bowls with underplates, 3 sizes of dishes (dinner plates and 2 smaller sizes ). So that makes 8 pieces per setting, with 10 settings, except I am missing 2 soup bowls and have a few extras of the other pieces. I also have 1 large round serving platter and 4 square serving bowls (2 large, 2 smaller).

Thank you for the information and photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oh and I forgot to mention the gravy boat and sugar bowl - I thought I had the creamer as well but don;t find it at the moment...Attached are photos of the soup tureen, smaller square serving bowl and serving platter (front and back.) The serving platter has different markings than the other pieces.

Your set dates last quarter of the 20thC. It is mostly Bohemia Royal Ivory made in Czechoslovakia.

From my research, I was able to determine a value of $1800-1960 assuming excellent condition.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

If you would like to sell closer to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Goantiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
cyberattic.com
collectoronline.com
collect.com
trocadero.com

Another method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Doris,
Thank you. I am situated in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Can you suggest some places where I could sell at a good price closer to home?
Also, are you able to give me a more precise date for my set, and eplain what the gold number 13 refers to?
Kindest regards,
Deborah
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also, to realize best value would it be best to sell the entire set at once or setting by setting, or as indivdual pieces? Or perhaps, the serving pieces separately from the complete settings?

You will not get a good price selling to a dealer or consigning with a dealer.

The only thing that I can think of other than the internet (which offers your very best chance) is your local Craig's List or a classified ad in a Montreal newspaper.

http://montreal.craigslist.ca/

As far as selling by the piece vs selling as a set - If you decide on selling via Montreal Craigs List or classified ad, then it is more practical to sell as a set.

If you decide to try the internet, you can sell well by grouping like pieces to sell - 10 dinner plates as one group, 10 cups and saucers as another group, etc. Etsy.com is easy to use and very inexpensive. The serving pieces could be sold individually and separately.

I would not try local auctions or eBay. Auction prices are often less than wholesale prices.

The gold numbers like the 13 are factory ID numbers that either designate the type of piece - cup or plate, etc - or the lot the pieces were made in at the same time.

Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work.
You should see five stars or five happy faces with my answer. This is where you rate me. Rating me a positive
does not cost you any extra.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris