Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a pair of pewter urns or vases that I bought in

Customer Question

I have a pair of pewter urns or vases that I bought in England in 1969. They have what I believe are Chinese characters inscribed on the side and bottom. There are also a peacock and tree inscribed on the sides. They are approx 9in tall and the tops are removable. The inside of the tops are sealed, with a plugged tubular piece centrally. Two Fu dogs on sides of bottom piece with holes for rings. Any idea of age, use or value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.
My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal. I will not send you a email requesting a phone conversation, this will not be coming from me!
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers do not work for the just answer site. We come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you. We are not at the Just Answer site, we are independent Appraisers who come to the site.
.

When you say plugged do you mean they are filled in ? These are from the 1920's Origin China.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tubes are plugged at the bottom. I was told by someone in England that he thought they were once used as opium pipes in a London den, but I can't think why thry're made in 2 pieces. What are they?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am not following what you mean, can you send me pictures of the plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know if the last pic made it, but here it is again. These are the tops of both urns. The one on the left is right side up, the other upside down, showing the plugged tube. The tube on the left one is missing, but is approx. 2 in long. Still have no idea what they are.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

So the whole top of this is open a normal urn? Just like a brass/pewter vase? The Markings on the neck or top of the vase is Asian, I cannot read it. These use to have wholes in the bottom of them and this is plugged up is this correct? I am asking because I believe these are Grave or Ceremonial Urns, at one time they attached to an altar or grave, they would have been screwed to the object. That would explain the whole that has been plugged on the bottom. The handles also use to have rings in them. I cannot seem them well but I can see the wholes in them, I believe where the ring used to be.

If this sounds correct to you let me know and I can look up the value for this.