Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have an oil painting "signed" by .W. Leader that when

Customer Question

Hi. I have an oil painting "signed" by B.W. Leader that when appraised was informed it is a tribute. The patina is correct dating 1824. What would this painting be worth, is large 3'x4'?
I would like to sell it.
Thank you , ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of your painting.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

Please tell me the amount of the previous appraisal and when it was done.

Does the size you gave for the painting include the frame. If s, please send me the sight dimensions of your painting not including the frame.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dimensions without the frame are 36" long by 30" high. They said if I wanted to sell it would be worn 5-6k being it is a tribute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the plaque on the painting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The date is 1897, not 1824,sorry
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was leery of doing this online. I hope my money was earnestly spent. Thank you. Are the other appraisers associated with this online site?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this.

Can you post a more in focus photo of the painting as well as the signature?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are closer pics. The signature is very difficult, I'll send it when I get the lighting better. I was told this is a tribute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Signature and date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Any news on the bw leader tribute?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "tribute"painting?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that leader didn't paint it, the patina is correct 1897. Even though it's for his name on the bottom. They called it a tribute?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me an estimate of what it is worth?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion this is a very high quality painting and consistent with the style and quality of Leader. The signature shows evidence of wear possibly from cleaning. As a very high quality 19th century, this would sell for $2000-4000 at auction and insurance value is $5000.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Do you have Any recommendation of where i could sell this.?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

You may try ebay? You could also contact auction houses like Skinner in Boston, or Heritage Auction in Dallas. They may be able to sell this as "in the manor of" or "attributed to" Leader.

Thanks,