Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My brother painted a 72x48 of in 1997 and it sold in Santa

Customer Question

My brother painted a 72x48 of ***** ***** in 1997 and it sold in Santa Fe for $20,000 3 weeks later. The owners attorney contacted me a couple of months ago, saying they want to sell it and could I find a buyer. I've developed a relationship with ***** *****'s widow over the past few years so I contacted her to see if she's interested in buying it. She's scheduled to call me today and I have no idea how much the original is worth to give her a price. The owners have a six figure price in mind and I need an opinion from an expert.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Please tell me the name of the artist? I see that this has 1/50 after the signature. This usually refers to a limited edition such as a giclee or lithograph. Original oil paintings don't usually have a number. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a photo of a giclee on canvas, 1/50 of the signed and numbered limited edition we printed in Austin. The artist is Gregory Truett Smith, my brother.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a photo of Gregory when he was painting the original. He painted it in the four color process. The other photo is of us with Rachel Robinson in NY when we gifted her a giclee of the original.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne-I want to be sure you got my reply to your question.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

I love his work, however; I can't find any public sales results for original works. From what I understand the original was auctioned in 1997 in Santa Fe for charity. This is very hard to value based on this sale. Charity auctions are notorious for high prices, as many times the buyer can get a tax write off as a donation and obtain a very nice work of art in the process In my opinion this could be worth 6 figures, but I can't find any market data to back this up. Therefore I can't in good faith put a value any where close to what they are asking for this. I will opt-out of this question and open thisvup for other experts to give you an opinion.

Thank you,