Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a colonial era serving spoon made by a female

Customer Question

I have a colonial era serving spoon made by a female silversmith. How can I research her mark so that I can learn her name and history?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kimberly,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting spoon.

It looks like a George III period English mark but I will need a clearer photo to tell you anything else.

Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash) and set the camera to macro (that's the little flower icon) if you have one. Put the camera and the spoon on a towel on the table and draw the spoon to the lens until it's sharp and take the photo while both the camera and the spoon and stock steady on the table.

Take hundreds and delete as you go until you get a good one. Photos of marks are hard to do but this is what I've learned works.

Hope this helps!

Robert

PS can you also add a photo of the entire spoon from both sides. And how long is it. Thanks R.