Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have various paintings by..Jacob Kramer, Owen Stephens (

Customer Question

I have various paintings by..Jacob Kramer, Daniel Owen Stephens ( American ? ),Roland Hill , and, Gilbert Forster and his daughter Dorothea Foster Hirst....can you give me some idea about any of these artists ?? They are all of the same era and must have some connection . I inherited them many moons ago ...when Dorothea died. She was married to ***** ***** , my Father's cousin. He was a writer , architect, and was involved in building homes in N.W.France during WWI ( Quakers ).... Would love to know about these "treasured " paintings.....they stare down at me every day , and even 'though I chat to them and ask them questions ( No I'm Not Daft !!) they never answer ! so I'm calling in your expertise !!!!!!
Hope to hear from you . ...and congratulations on your show...watch it every night ..here in Western Australia ( even when they keep chucking in repeats , again and again !! ) Jintie
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jinte, my name is***** am happy to work through your group of artists. We usually do one artist per posting. So if that is ok with you pick which one you wish to start with. And yes Daniel Owen Stephens is American.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ..Pick ?? which one ?? Jacob Kramer ....but I still would like to know where all the connections cross.!! Try Jacob. I have an amazing picture ...a death mask of his Mother !!...we used to keep it in the dunny ...it either scared the **** out of people or they just sat there and stared !!! Weird...I know he was in Leeds and I think this is where the connection comes in as Bell was an architect there ( (I have his original drawings of the Town Hall etc ) Anyway ..Go Jacob she says !! Tell me ..what is your connection to the Antiques Road Show ? Good Luck and Have Fun ?? Jintie

Hi Jinte,

This site is not connected to the TV series, I have always thought the advertising is miss leading. The similarity is that the people like myself are independent experts who were recruited by Just Answer to perform a similar function. My Company is Guardians of the Past and my site is fineart.institute.

If you wish to proceed pleased send images of the painting. A whole one of the front and back, plus a closeup of the signature. You can insert them to this dialogue or you can email them to***@******.*** attention Tim in Antiques.

I will start with Jacob Kramer's biography, in doing so we may find the connection between him and the other artists.

Jacob Kramer was born in Ukraine to artistic Jewish parents. A painter and lithographer, he immigrated to Leeds with his family in 1900.

He was awarded a scholarships to Leeds School of Art. He associated with Herbert Read and the progressive Leeds Arts Club, and was influenced by expressionism, particularly the work of Kandinsky.

Encouraged by his patron Michael Sadler, Vice-Chancellor of Leeds University, and funded by the Jewish Education Aid Society, he attended the Slade school of art from 1913–14.

His London circle included David Bomberg, Jacob Epstein, Mark Gertler, CRW Nevinson, ***** ***** (whose sister, Sarah, he later married) and Edward Wadsworth.

Bomberg and Epstein included his work in the 'Jewish Section' of the 1914 Whitechapel Gallery exhibition Twentieth Century Art: A Review of Modern Movements.

He exhibited with the Allied Artists’ Association, New English Art Club and Glasgow Society of Painters and Sculptors. In 1915 he showed with the Vorticists, and Wyndham Lewis included his work in Blast.

His postwar career dissipated; returning to Leeds in the 1920s, he developed a local reputation as a portraitist. Leeds City Art Gallery hosted a retrospective in 1960.

Jacob Kramer died in 1962.

BBC Your Paintings

His portraits tend to bring the highest values. What is the subject of your painting? What is the size?