Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Looking and value of a black amethyst decanter I purchased

Customer Question

Looking for age and value of a black amethyst decanter I purchased at auction. I attempted a general Google search as well as an image search and found none similar.
http://imgur.com/a/0jbD6
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your pretty decanter.

This is an example of "Venetian" (or Murano style) enameled glass, made in Bohemia in what is now the Czech Republic, with a printed vignette of the Papal Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican, Rome.

It is called "Venetian" because originally it all came from Venice, or more specifically the small island of Murano next to Venice. In the 20th century however, almost all the enameled glass of this style and color was made in Bohemia (now the Czech Republic) at one of the many factories in and around Novy Bor, the center of decorative glassmaking in northern Bohemia, located about 120 kilometers north of Prague.

Yours looks like it dates to about the 1950s.
The gold enamel is all applied by hand, some of it in raised paste, that is then fused to the glass in the furnace, a very skillful technique to pull off as the temperature at which the gold enamel fuses is around the same temperature as the melting point of the glass. The Bohemian craftsmen were some of the few in the world that had the skill, the manual dexterity and the artistic ability to do this decoration.

This much smaller example of Bohemian glass, with the same depiction of St Peter's, Rome, sold on line for $26.00, which is probably representative. So I would give your decanter an auction or on line value (eBay, Etsy, Amazon, etc) of around $120. It therefore has a full retail value of $160. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.