Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

For. Heilbuth signed painting - country girl with a thread

Customer Question

For. Heilbuth signed painting - country girl with a thread what is the value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the dimensions of your painting not including the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
23 1/2 by 35 1/2 inches

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

It should take about 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Heilbuth used several different mediums. Please tell the medium - oil, watercolor, pastel, etc.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's oil on canvas

Thank you.

I will work with that.

Doris

Ferdinand Heilbuth (1826-1889)

Biography from Schiller & Bodo

"Ferdinand Heilbuth was born in Hamburg on June 27, 1826, the son of a rabbi. At a young age he moved to Munich to study, rapidly moving on to Antwerp, and then to Paris c. 1843-1846. Once in Paris, he studied under Marc-Gabriel-Charles Gleyre, a history and genre painter, and Paul Delaroche. His trips to Rome beginning in 1854-55, and later during the 1860s and early 1870s, inspired the much of his early work, which consisted primarily of genre scenes with Italian Cardinals. After leaving his homeland around the time of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870, Heilbuth never returned and became a naturalized French citizen in 1878. It was during this period in the 1870s that the artist shifted his focus away from the Italian themes that had previously occupied him, and began to create more modern Parisian subjects.

Heilbuth regularly submitted to the Paris Salon after 1852, and through these submissions sold many works to the State--works which are now housed in the Museé du Louvre and Musée d'Orsay. Highly recognized in his lifetime, Heilbuth was awarded medals in 1857, 1859, 1861, and was lastly decorated with the Légion d'honneur in 1861 and promoted to Officier in 1881. He worked within illustrious groups of French painters, participating in 1865 in an exclusive exhibition of the Cercle de l'union des arts on the rue Choiseul, along with Delacroix, Decamps, Diaz, Troyon, Meissonier, Ribot, Belly, Daubigny, Millet, and Gérôme. In addition to his success on the continent, Heilbuth also exhibited in London at the Royal Academy and at the Grovesnor Gallery (1871-1878).

Museums:
Baltimore, Walters Art Museum; Bayeux; Bordeaux, Musée des Beaux-Arts; Dijon; Hamburg; London, Wallace Collection; Nemours, Château Musée; Paris, Musée d'Orsay, Musée du Louvre; Reims; Saint-Lo; Saint Petersburg, Hermitage; Sydney."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine that Heilbuth's oils sell for far more at auction than any of the other mediums he used.

The auction value of your painting turned out to be $21,860.

The retail art gallery value would then be $38,000-41,000 assuming excellent condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!You are very professional and I appreciate the detailed answer and the knowledge behind it.
Thank you,
Laura

Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I am paid by Just Answer for my work. It costs you nothing extra.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris