rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have Four pieces of quadruple plated W. Tufts, Boston,

Customer Question

I have Four pieces of quadruple plated James W. Tufts, Boston, (Warranted) They might have been a small flower vase (Square), sugar dish (Square with handles and lid and creamer (about 7" tall with lid attached that you pull back with your thumb. The other piece is what i believe is a brides basket. I can't find anything online though that matches it. It has been passed down in our family but unfortunately, my mother-in-law developed Alzheimer before and left no notes on it before she passed away. I can send photos.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a vase, sugar bowl, and syrup pitcher (bride's basket not pictured, but I will value it) made by James Tufts of Boston, Massachusetts. The set was made between 1875 to 1902. The pattern is in the Victorian Aesthetic style, which pinpoints the closer to 1880-1885. The word Quadruple Plate means that this is base metal of nickel and zinc that has been dipped four times in liquid silver. By comparison, sterling silver is 92.5% silver through out. Silver plate is inherently worth much less than sterling because of this. This pattern does not have a name, but there are probably numbers on the bottom. The company used these numbers when ladies ordered from catalogs to fill their homes with Tufts pieces.

The bride's basket has a current value of $60 to $70.00. The vase, $30. The syrup pitcher, $45, the lidded sugar bowl, $35.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.