Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a finely painted maritime oil by francis perkins. can

Customer Question

I have a finely painted maritime oil by francis perkins. can u tell me about this artist?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent images last Monday. I will repost.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. I am not able to locate any information on this artist for you.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

~Nora

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Could this be your artist? If so, I can value your painting?

Biography from Whistler House Museum of Art

The following is from Peter Kostoulakos, ISA ˜ Fine Art Consultant. www.pkart.com

Parker S. Perkins
1862-1942

Parker S. Perkins was born in Lowell, MA on March 16, 1862 and died on Sunday, October 18,1942 at the age of 80. Perkins — a highly respected, self-taught marine painter of Rockport, MA— is remembered for his harbors, ships, and coastal scenes as well as interiors and kittens. He loved kittens and would have anywhere from three to twenty at a time.

Although born in Lowell, Perkins spent most of his youth in Gardner, MA and is considered to be one of the city's most successful citizens. He was never very famous or collected by New England museums and never achieved financial success, but because he painted for the sake of creating what he loved, he is one of America's success stories.

Always dignified with a high sense of drama, Perkins was one of Cape Ann's greatest and most admired marine painters. He lived on Gott Street in Rockport, MA and was, for many years, one of the seaports major attractions. Harrison Cady, famous illustrator and life-long friend of Perkins, asked him for his help painting a sixty foot long mural in Manhattan. Perkins obliged and then he returned to Cape Ann and the work he loved. Fame and financial success were never concerns of Perkins but what change of direction may have taken place if Perkins had put more thought into his career and remained in New York?

He exhibited with the Boston Art Club in 1895, 1891, 1894, and 1898. In the BAC exhibition of 1885, he listed his address as 70 West Newton Street in Boston, MA. Perkins also exhibited in New York and the Rockport Art Association.

Parker S. Perkins is represented in collections of the Whistler House Museum of Art in Lowell, MA; the Rockport Art Association in Rockport, MA and museums in Syracuse, Detroit, and Mexico City.

References: Who Was Who in American Art, vol. I, page 479; Davenport's Art Reference 2001/2002, page 1443; Mallett's (supplement), page 215; Boston Art Club Exhibition Record 1873-1909, page 305; Artists of the Rockport Art Association, 1940, page 91; Rockport Art Association files; Whistler House Museum of Art files.

Peter Kostoulakos, ISA — Fine Art Consultant

Kind regards,

Doris