Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Over a 100 year old water painting of a little girl and her

Customer Question

Over a 100 year old water painting of a little girl and her dog
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature (if any).

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 by 13 painted on wood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no signiture
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience.

This is actually a vintage, circa 1920's, decorative wall plaque.

The image of child and dog is a color lithograph print that has been pasted down, varnished, and then surrounded with a plaster gesso molded decorative frame all mounted to wood backing. This is not the original painting of this image, but a print reproduction.

The artist of the original painting entitled “Safely Guarded” was completed in 1924 by illustrator Arthur J. Elsley (1860-1952). It became a famous image and many prints were sold.

Here are some comparable examples for you of this print is that are in different frames:

http://www.lotnut.com/app/item.html?guid=fca901e3-4723-4893-96f9-c70294106640

http://www.rubylane.com/item/574925-PP-2695/Dog-Guarding-Sleeping-Child-Wood-Frame

On today’s market, this could sell for a high of $30 - $50 at retail.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shore line picture
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to help you with any items, however I only assess one item per question here.

For new items, please start a new question and add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,

Nora