Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have four chairs that are black with a black leather seat

Customer Question

I have four chairs that are black with a black leather seat that has pins. On the back or the chair are two lion heads to the left and right. I can find no makers mark and I am trying to research who made them
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** a one of the expert appraisers here. I would be happy to help you. please post a few photos of the chairs and the lion heads on the chairs. These should be distinguishable to name a maker. I look forward to helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When should I expect a response ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay standby...

I will work on these as soon as I get the photos. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to send pics have you received them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would rather communicate through text. Thank you

not a problem yes i do have the photos now and am going over them. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can provide additional pics tomorrow if needed. We love antiques but we are not educated in them we only know what we like and purchase if we treasure them. But these chairs really spoke to my husband so I am hoping to find something about them.

These chairs are carved oak chairs date 1700 early 1800s. The leather and pins look to be original. I have enlarged the images to view detail. They were dining chairs for a large oak table. Roughly as is in original form they are valued at 450-500.00 each. To find a maker is not possible without some type of marking or stamp on the chair. These were usually hand made for custom order to be of the decor the family wanted. The lions heads were for protection to those that set at the table and of a higher social status then common people. The common forms carved were dogs or lion heads on the backing. The leather looks to be in need of replacing however unless you plan to sit on them I would not replace the leather. The original is always best to have. If I can be of further help please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We understood this research but what about the maker?

I am still looking to see who exactly was making these chairs this is where I am running int difficulty as it is hard to determine exactly who made them without some type of marking or stamp somewhere on the chair. I am researching everything I have right now to at least narrow it down. This is extremely difficult to do but I am researching and if I can not pin point I will opt out for you to have the question open if someone else here may know.

Yes, please post more photos tomorrow for me as I have nothing on maker. Hopefully more detail will hep me distinguish the maker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was charged for this conversation the full price but received no answer.

I am sorry I have no idea how the charges work on the site as I am a certified appraiser that answers for the company. I did not ask to have the question rated as I was waiting for more photos from you. I believe you can contact***@******.*** and they can help you on the answer of charging but also if you have the photos you may email them to***@******.*** and they will in turn send them on to me also so I may research the photos and get you a maker of the chairs. I am sorry you have been charged already as I have not completed the answer on maker yet and never checked the box to have the answer rated and paid.