LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a tray it appears to be a serving tray in a wooden

Customer Question

I have a tray it appears to be a serving tray in a wooden type box itself is made from wood except the top has what appears to be abalone or mother of pearl and it was bought while my great granddad was in world war one in 1915-1917 can't find anything on the internet even similar to it and need help with history orientation etc
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hrllo my name is***** am one of the experts here and would be happy to help you. Do you have a photo of the back and measurements. This will help me in my evaluation and accurately valhe the puece. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I am trying to upload the pics now it itself is 21 in acrossed and a lil over 10 heighth as seen in pic the case is 23 1/2
across 13 wide.

This is a serving tray that at one time was either bought by your great grandfather or presented to your great grandfather in Japan. It is a handmade tray with inlaid mother of pearl. These were given to service men for favors of help or money. They were crafted by the finest artisans. It looks to be in excellent condition and kept in a hand custom box for protection is perfect as the inlay can become loose or chip out because of age. these trays were for meats or tea cake type foods not heavy foods that had sauces or such that would destroy the beauty. From the look of the tray I doubt it was ever used and had been treasured over the years for the beauty. The tray is valued at 550-650.00 in today's market.The size, material and condition is the biggest selling point. Also, you have the providence to the piece and be sure to write down where and when he brought the piece home. This confirms the age and time piece. It is a beautiful piece thank you for the photos and sharing this with us. If I may be of further service please let me know as I am happy to help.