Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I am wondering about the value of a painting painted by

Customer Question

I am wondering about the value of a painting painted by Marshall Bouldin, a famous Portait painter from Clarksdale, MS. There is an interesting story behind the painting as Marshall and my Father were friends . My father who rented the Bouldin farm was asked by Marshall to take care of certain other duties on the Bouldin farm.. Every year when Marshall would try to pay him Dad would decline and request a painting which Bouldin did every yr early in his career. All but one of these(8) were, of course, portraits. However my mother one year requested a painting of the race between the Steamship, the Nathez and the Robert E. Lee on the Mississippi River. It is quite marvelous and Marshall Bouldin used to take it to art showings of his work over the years. It is quite large about 58"wx40" h and hangs over the mantel in my family home.I was curious about the value as it was very unusual for Mr Bouldin to do landscapes. Do you have any idea of its value and perhaps of the other Portait paintings which are all large paintings of my family members.?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Bouldin's commission fee by 1989, was $25,000 for a portrait.

In the art world, a painting that is an anomaly to the known style of an artist usually does not command as high of a price as works are recognizable. However, in your case, the subject of your painting, being a steamship race on the Mississippi of historically well-known boats, is in and of itself desirable. That too, should carry a $25,000 insurance or replacement value.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Nora,
But I believe his commissions were quite a bit higher than that after 1989. Do you not have information that is more up to date than 26 yr years old??
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

$25,000 per commission was considered the height of his command price.

~Nora