Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Philadelphia watch case co. pocket watch Serial #

Customer Question

I have a Philadelphia watch case co. pocket watch Serial # ***** It says silver G orO DE. Can you give me any information on this? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your watch.

The Philadelphia Watch Case Co made cases for a number of watch movement manufacturers, mostly for Elgin, but I'd need photos of the movement and the number on the movement (that's the 'guts' of the clock when you open up the back) to be of best use to you and give you a meaningful value.

Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Many thanks and wait to hear.

Robert.

PS. Taking clear close-ups of watches and their marks is tricky, I know, it's taken me a while to figure out how, but it's doable even with a basic camera or cell phone. Here are some tips:

• Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash).
  • Select the macro function (that's the little flower icon) on your camera if it has one.
  • Put both the camera and the watch on the table next to each other (use a towel for better stability if you prefer) and bring the watch towards the camera lens until it's in focus. Keep both the watch and the camera on the table as you take the photo.
  • Take 100s and delete them as you go until you get a good one, that's the best thing about modern digital cameras: the delete button!
  • If you are using a smart phone like an iPhone, touch the screen where you want the image to be sharpest and it will automatically correct the focus and the lighting.