Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a solid gold vinaigrette with hallmarks, gold (super

Customer Question

I have a solid gold vinaigrette with hallmarks for London, gold (super rare sun mark IN PLACE of the lion passant mark) , date letter 1826. It is 1 3/4 inches long by 3/4 inches wide and weighs 19.8 grams. The makers mark is far too worn down to identify.
I am wondering what the value of a vinaigrette with such a rare mark would be worth in outstanding condition, both as an unknown artist piece, or, if it was made by John Northam (i havent been able to prove with certainty but I am very sure that is who made
it.) ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

These are silver marks and not gold marks. It is more possible that this is sterling silver with a gold vermeil wash, which was common on vinaigrettes. The photo is very small and I am not able to enlarge. I would like another picture of the marks (don't do any editing) and one photo of the vinaigrette. You can do this by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These marks are most definitely gold marks. This piece is dated 1826. Look at the shape of date letter cartouch. See how the corners are cut, and it doesnt come to a point at the bottom? Compare to a Birmingham date letter chart for silver. the corners are sharp and come to a point at the bot***** *****ke a baseball plate. I know the image isnt the greatest, but it shouldnt be too difficult to be able to tell that the hallmark between the duty mark and date letter is clearly a sun and not a lion passant.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is why I need another photo of the marks, this small photo you have provided make it impossible to see. I also need to see the vinaigrette.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked a question on 11/14 that was unanswerable and would like to ask a new question instead of a refund. how do i do that?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You can start a new question and ask it there. It is necessary to add a photo of the item.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, rarewares.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You are so welcome and I wish you the best of luck.