Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an altar cloth that has been carbon dated to be from

Customer Question

I have an altar cloth that has been carbon dated to be from 620ad.. 1400 years old.. Wondering what it is worth? Tried to get on the antiques roadshow and haven't been lucky enough to get a ticket
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

What is the size? May I please know more about the carbon dating testing conducted on this and why you attribute it to being an altar cloth?

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested info available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.. Sorry for my delay in responding. The cloth is 4 feet wide and 7 feet long. The reason I feel it is an altar cloth is because it came with a story which cannot be proven or disproven.. It is said to have been in the possession of a small band of religious worshippers of "The Light" in Southern Turkey. A lady with Black hair and a long white robe was their leader. It was kept in a carved ivory box silver inlaid with a silver lock, silk interior. Cloth was kept in a large tent with rugs over it to hide it. Then it went to Medina.. Then by horseman to Mecca.. Old man bought it and gave it to a person like a Priest at Mecca. Prayers were said all around where cloth was kept (Holy of Holies Mecca)... The cloth was around when the horses died by the hundreds.
Christians were coming -Caliphs and Sheiks stop fighting and unite-celebration-cloth on white stallion paraded around celebrants.. The cloth referred to as "Tree of Life" I know the thread is a gold spun thread.. I have the carbon dating from The University of Arizona that was done in 1983. Have been trying to find out about this for awhile. Never can get any answers so I figured antique roadshow would be a good place to go. I had no idea it would be so difficult to get on the show.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again.. Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Juli,

This sounds like a fascinating item and thank you for the information. This however, is outside of my realm for online appraisals.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much I appreciate it!!
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I have researched your question for very, very old objets d'art.

Most are in museums and are priceless.

The design of your piece does look as though it came from the main areas of Islamic religions.

Your piece should be in a museum where it can be cared for properly.

My experience with such beautiful such ancient objets d'art is that they are worth as much as $35000-40000.

You might get your best price by donating to a museum and taking a tax deduction.

I would not trust it to leave your hands for an auction house to sell.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.