Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a silver creamer and cream pitcher that have the

Customer Question

I have a silver creamer and cream pitcher that have the markings of EPNS in a shires with a unicorn to the right and a lion to the left, standing on two circles that have a L and a B in them. Do you know the maker of these and approx the vintage?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your creamer and sugar.

Thanks for the helpful description of the marks. This logo of a lion & unicorn supporting a shield with the initials L & B is for Lehmen Brothers Silverware, New York, a company founded in 1905 and active until the 1930s.

The mark should look like this, correct?

The "EPNS" stands for "Electro-Plated Nickel Silver". This is a particular alloy of nickel that was adopted as a popular base metal because it's white in color and doesn't show like, say, copper or brass if the silver coating scratches or wears thin.

Your set are silverplate (rather than sterling) and if you'd like me to put a more accurate date on them and a value, I would be happy to. All I need is a photo. Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

I do hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Robert