Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

What would a. brooch be worth that is stamped without the?

Customer Question

What would a b.david brooch be worth that is stamped without the b? It's stamped with just DAVID. I've had this for 40 years, and was given to me by my great grandmother when she was in her mid 90's.
Thanks,
Cheryl Williams
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

History of B. David Jewelry

"1945 - 1993? Cincinnati Ohio -B. David company was a small company that produced costume and fine jewelry. Their output was limited. This company produced a famous crown pin that is a collectors favorite. Signature Designs: Pretty, high quality rhinestone combinations, dainty jewelry."

Source:Amazing Adornments

On further research in my books on costume and fine jewelry, I found the mark was just "David" the first five years. This means your brooch was made sometime between 1940 and 1945.

I used to carry some jewelry in my former store.

On average a B David costume brooch retails for between $40-65.

The early costume brooches would sell for about 20% more.

The firm's fine jewelry sells for much more, but again, its early jewelry would sell about 20% more.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.