Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Our 92 year old mother recently passed and left a family

Customer Question

Our 92 year old mother recently passed and left a family mixing spoon, about 7 inches, signed Otto Kroneke 29 Jan 1807. It has some silvermarks including an S type swirl, an O or D, and a half rectangular box with 2 dots in it. It appears utilitarian but has a beautiful, intricate floral design on the handle. Her family came from the Alsace/Lorraine region and Denmark and were metal workers. What would be the origin of this spoon?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images of the front and back of spoon along with a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature and marks on it.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will probably need to get a friend to help me get the photos from my smart phone to your site. I'll work on that, assuming you want this done on e-mail. If you have a text phone number, I could now text you some photos. Denise
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise,

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll work to get the images to***@******.*** tomorrow. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise,

Anytime will be fine. You can send over images at your convenience.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I received the images, thank you. The punch inscribed name pertains to the original owner, and the date is likely their birthdate.

The small stamped marks near the punch inscribed neck will tell me origin and date. If you can please provide very clear, in-focus, extreme close-ups of the stamped marks, I can assess this further for you.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try for a close-up of the stamped marks tomorrow. Thank you, Denise
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

That is fine - send over images anytime at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Nora