Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Greetings, I have a cabinet photo that I believe to be my

Customer Question

Greetings,
I have a cabinet photo that I believe to be my Great-Great-Great grandparents, but it was produced in a town they never lived. I have the same photo in a much smaller version, also not ID'd.
My question is this...between 1884-1900 could someone, wanting an album of cabinet photos of the entire family but lacking a cabinet photo of a couple, take a photo to a studio and have it enlarged and reprinted as a cabinet photo? Thanks for any help you can be! Peace-Michael
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

The short answer is yes, that was quite possible at that time. You care welcome to send images of the photos if you would like me to look at them for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up Nora. The original image is with a distant cousin an hour away. If I were to get it and scan it, would you be able to tell whether or not the photo was a reprint made in 1900 or if it is an original photo?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, depending on the quality of the image, meaning clarity and pixelation, I should be able to assess this for you online from a scan.

~Nora

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Nora,I apologize for the delay in my follow up. It took me a while to find the owner of the photo that I asked you about. In November I asked you if it was possible to take an old photo to a professional studio, enlarge it, and have it printed as a cabinet photo. I am asking the question because of various evidence I belief I have photo of ancestors that were produced in a town they never visited. You told me that you would be able to tell whether or not the photo was a reprint If I sent you a scan.Do you think scan0031 or scan0003 are reprints of other old photos? Scan0032 is the back of scan0031. Does scan0032 give relevant info in determining that answer? Note that scan0032 has handwriting and mentions "F. Rupp." This would be Frank Rupp, the original owner of the photo.Thanks for your help!-Michael
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

These are original cabinet card photos. Although the town listed may have been somewhere that you relatives did not travel to at that time, the photographer could have traveled with their camera to other towns to take photos.

~Nora