Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an opportunity to buy a portrait in oil signed Du Val

Customer Question

I have an opportunity to buy a portrait in oil signed Charles Du Val 1891. However, the only Charles Du Val I can locate online died before that date. He had a son but I couldn't find anything about the son. The lady claims the portrait is worth $20,000 ??? I can email a photo of the portrait.
Bill XXX
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,

The highest price ever paid at auction for an authentic Charles DuVal was $3,513 (£1,800) in 2006, which was during teh height of the art market. The image was of a young girl in 3/4 length selling oranges, which is more desirable than a less detailed bust size portrait of a woman who appears in her middle-ages. Since then, DuVal works, when offered for sale at auction rarely break $500. I do not recommend purchasing this under the pretense that it is worth $20,000 and an original by DuVal, especially given that the dates do not match. In addition the brushwork and color blending on the face and hair are sub-par.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally found my way here again.
Your answer was basically what I expected but the value even less.
Plus, the date is still a concern because it seems he was resurrected just to paint this blah portrait. ☺
Thanks,
Bill Roye
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,

Understood, it is not unusual for private sellers to ask higher-than-market prices for objects they own as well as have misinformation on what they do own.

~Nora