Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We have a Chinese taoism temple that was brought back from

Customer Question

We have a Chinese taoism temple that was brought back from China during World War II by my father who was working behind enemy lines. It contains many figures, some stand a foot tall. How would we go about getting it appraised and sold?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. i would be happy to help you. Can.you post a few photos of the piece and the measurements. This will help me in my evaluation. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Hello, I was just checking in to see if you had photos so I may help you on the appraisal and how you can go about selling the temple. Please let me know if I may continue to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are just 2 of the characters. I can send more if this works ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get and can you see the photos?

Hello, yes I have two photos so it is working within our post

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll get the rest of them off the camera and send them. It will take a little while. Does this look like something you can appraise for us?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are several more pieces but there are quite a few more. Should I keep sending them to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 2 more

Hi, yes I will be able to appraise this for you. I have a few questions and will need this for an accurate value. Are these attached to the bases by glue or nails? the Emperor looks to be wood dressed in the gold thread robe How tall is he? The guard looks to be wood and the foo dog/lion looks to be wood also. Is the base wood or stone? How tall is the the figure in gold ? More photos are coming through these questions are for the first two photos.

thank you I see the ruler this helps me in measurement

My only question is the bases wood or stone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not attached by glue or nails but rather small bamboo rods. All characters are wood and all bases are wood. The Emperor is about 1 foot tall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the joints move
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are more pieces like tables, lanterns, etc. but we'd like to start with these. The others have not been photographed yet.

All have the original paint and look to be in very good condition for the age. These were done in mid1800s. The cracking is due to the warm weather or heat in the air. The foo dog alone measures roughly 3 3/4" and is 125.00 the boy atop the gold coins and rui septor standing on ingots represents power and wealth He is valued at 250.00 The boy standing on ingots holding one ingot and is roughly 14" tall is valued at 350.00 The God standing atop the ocean base and has dragon head coming from ocean- holds the pearl of life roughly 9" tall value is 425.00 The guard with the foo dog 10" tall is protection from evil and valued at 450.00 Emperor wearing Imperial robe embroidered with gold wrapped thread roughly 12" tall and valued at 475.00 These were all used on an alter within a temple. They are rare to find outside a personal family as they handed down after the elder would pass in the family. Basically more of tradition and cultural beliefs. They are hard to sell unless you can find a collector of Asian temple pieces. I grew up in Chinese and Asian cultures and customs. To sell on the open market your target audience are Asian collectors. You can start by looking at antique shops higher end if they would buy them or offer on consignment through them. Next I would suggest depending on where you live talking to an Asian Museum to see if the gift store would be interested in buying them. Most will buy authentic pieces to sell to tourists that come for the exhibits. These will be a hard sell as not many in the USA understand or collect these types of figures.