AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a folding rocking chair that was passed to me by

Customer Question

I have a folding rocking chair that was passed to me by family. It supposedly came to Ohio on a covered wagon by my great great grandma. I need to find out approximately when it was made and maybe by what company. I can not find any markings on it at all. Any way you could help? I would also like to see if there is a market for this and approximate value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

In the 19th century, most furniture was made by individuals, or by very small companies. It's virtually impossible to determine a maker without a mark, as there were thousands and most are lost to history.

This is a late 18th century Victorian Eastlake example. With the advent of the railroad around 1850, it's unlikely that this came in a covered wagon, as it was made closer to 1880-1890. Oddly, these are very often called "covered wagon rockers," even though these were made later than that--earlier examples were brought in covered wagons, and the name stuck.

The resale value on these in very good condition, at auction, tends to stay below $100, unfortunately.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Jennifer