rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a ivy leaf grape arm fruit bowl with a glass insert

Customer Question

Good morning I have a ivy leaf grape arm fruit bowl with a glass insert CROSS ARROWS WH&S ( ithink ) DP A1 PATTERN NUMBER 31209 a gift from a great aunt. Could you help with its value
THANK YOU LINDA
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Hello Linda,

This is a centerpiece made by William Hutton and Sons of Sheffield, England in silver plate (not sterling silver) in pattern 31209. The EP ( you said DP but I think it is EP) and A1 represent Electro Plate in A1 quality, a mark they used from 1864 to 1893. This piece has a current value of $400usdollars or 261GBP.

Please do click the stars to rate me, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI ***** AS I DID NOT THINK THE CROSSED ARROWS WERE USED UNTIL 1901 WHEN WILLIAM HUTTON TOOK OVER THE NEW COMPANY ACCORDING TO THE HISTOERY OF SILVER PLATE MARKINGS.
WHAT DO TOU THINK.
Linda
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

There were different versions over the years, yes, I would need to see the mark in a photo. Please add a photo of the piece and the marks so that I can re-evaluate for you. You can add pictures by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi good idea two enclosed
Linda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi good idea two enclosed
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

The pictures did the trick. I did not realize the words CROSSED ARROWS were part of the mark on your piece, I though you were just referring to the symbol of crossed arrows in the middle (without the words was earlier). This is why photos are so important to add in the original query. The mark that I thought was EP is BP for Brittania Plate (same thing, just a later term). You are correct, this mark was used after 1901. I do not think it is a centerpiece now that I see it. This looks to be a wine bottle holder, something that Hutton did make in different versions over the years. Hard to tell by the scale of the piece-is it a size that a wine bottle would fit in the forked branch to hold the neck of the bottle? As a William Hutton and Sons wine bottle coaster, this piece has a value of $125USD.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer.
If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.

Let's close this question by having you click the stars to rate.