Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an original oil painting on canvas called "Good

Customer Question

I have an original oil painting on canvas called "Good Going" by R. Macgregor and I was wondering if it is worth having it appraised. I know some of his painting sold at auction in the past (2010 Woolly & Wallis).
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day, thank you for your question my name is***** proceed with determining the value of your painting I need to see it. Please send images of the whole front, back and a clear one of the signature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you requested!

Thank you the images helped.

The painting appears to be by: Robert McGregor RSA (1847–1922) was a Scottish painter who painted genre, landscapes and marine (ships, Yachts etc. His genre was particularly painting working men such as fishermen, shepherds, crofters, pedlars, and farm labourers. However he also painted Scottish, French and Dutch country and coastal scenery. He is best known for the genre paintings, they have sold at auction for $2,000.00 to $9,000.00. Next are the marine paintings like yours, they sell at auction for: $750.00 to $1,300.00.

If you require any further assistance please let me know.

Cheers Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea how old the painting is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, Can you tell me why his painting is signed MacGregor?

The age of the painting is circa 1900. McGregor and MacGregor are two ways of spelling the name. I have found him listed by both.

Please take a moment and rate this question. That is how I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were very helpful. Thank you!

You are welcome. Please click a positive rating.