Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a portrait that I was told came from an estate in

Customer Question

I have a portrait that I was told came from an estate in Springfield Illinois. It is quite old and is not on canvas. It appears to be on some sort of oil cloth that has a pattern on back. Could you please help with age and value? Thanks. Jan
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day Jan, my name is***** start the process please send clear images of the portrait front and back, as well as the size. You can attach them using the paperclip icon on the toolbar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The portrait is 23 1/4 x 29 inside frame. I have attached 5 photos. Thanks so much! Jan

Hi Jan thank you for sending the images. What you have appears to be a AMERICAN OR BRITISH SCHOOL, second quarter of the 19th century, portrait, oil on wall paper (most likely oil cloth), depicting a young lady wearing a lace bonnet and capelet, no signature located.

It is as you pointed out quite dirty and it needs restretching. As to value at auction they have sold for $250.00 to $500.00. For insurance replacement value: $500.00 to $1,000.00.