rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

While going through my late Mother-In-Laws box of photos, we

Customer Question

While going through my late Mother-In-Laws box of photos, we came upon a small matted , I believe watercolor. The lower right hand corner has HHoopes" written.
On the back of the mat it is written in pencil 3 3/4 x 41/8, Mat: 7 7/8 x 9 1/4. The lower left has written H. Hoopes , under that Barerra Natural I. On the back of the watercolor is says /2 graiderer ( I think..) written in pencil. I did some research and found there was an artist by that name but have not been able to locate any other info. My Mother-In-Law if alive would be 104. My husband is 72 and does not ever remember this being displayed in their home. Any information you could provide please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please add pictures of the art, the signature, and any marks you find on the back of the piece. You can do that by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen. Let me know if you have any problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am sorry. Not having any luck adding photos to file. Is it possible I print them out and mail them to you?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Some people have trouble attaching pictures, that is okay. You can email pictures to***@******.*** and be sure to put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line of your email so that the photos will be forwarded to me. This way takes a bit longer, so thank you in advance for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k., thanks I will try that! When I opened the file of the photos there was no photos and a lot of letters and symbols!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos have been sent.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I found letters and numbers as well. A hint for next time, the end of the file should end with .jpg in order for it to be a photograph. This file ended with.xml which means it is a text, read only file with no pictures.

I should get the email forwarded to me by tonight or in the morning.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I never did get any emailed photos. Let me know if you sent them according to the directions above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 12 photos of the watercolor. Sending both back and front. Please advise if still an issue with photos ! Thanks.
Elaine XXX ***@******.***
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

The file says Albumdata.xml which is the same problem you were having before. It is just lines of html code when I open it here.

We had decided for you to email them, did you also try that? I'll give the directions again;

send email of the pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I received one photo of the watercolor in my email this morning, thank you. This is a watercolor by Henrietta Elizabeth Dodd Hoopes. She was born in 1904 and lived in Washington Dc, California and Delaware. She was known for portraits, modernist genre and etchings.

Hoopes studied with André Lhote in Paris and at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. During the 1930s she was active in Los Angeles.

During the 1940s and early 1950s she was in Washington, DC. Member: Washington Art Guild.

Exhibited: Paris Salon, 1934 (prize); Hollywood Riviera Club, 1936 (prize); California Watercolor Society, 1937; Stendahl Gallery (Los Angeles), 1937; California Palace of Legion of Honor, 1937; Delaware Art Center, 1939-40; Art Institute of Chicago, 1941; Phillips Gallery (Washington), 1942; Washington Artists Guild, 1950.

This painting, when compared to recent prices at auction, has a value of $300 to $400.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.