Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

XXXXX. I currently live in Florida, I am originally from

Customer Question

Good Morning.
My name is***** I currently live in Florida, I am originally from Spain. Our family has a home in the Liebana Valley, Cantabria Region of Northern Spain in a village named "Perrozo". It is about 300 years old. It is not our original family home, that one resides down the hill, still in Perrozo, but in what they call "Celoca".
It is said that "El Cid" was hidden in our town, I do not know which house and many go as far back as the 4th century.
I go every summer. Since my grandfather passed away many items have gone missing, but this one in particular I brought back with me to find out more about it. It is made of wood or clay, honestly I cannot tell. It looks like carved wood, but feels like a clay or ceramic. It is round, a face in the center with various circles around it with carved images of castles, ships, and weird signs and figures.
I have it with me and have taken pictures of it. Upon my next visit in April, I will return it to our home.
Our home was used in one of the wars as a jail as well. It is quite large and holds a lot of interesting history.
Is there anyone I can send images to?
Respectfully,
Diana R. Sainz
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hello Diana,

You have a plaster molded rendition of the ancient Mayan calendar, or Aztec calendar stone. This is a tourist piece from the 20th century and not an ancient original.

The white area indicate that this is molded plaster that was painted to simulate a wood or stone color.

Here is a link for you on deciphering the calendar:

http://www.oocities.org/wwwtimto/maya.html

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora