LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

My father has an original Ed Walaitis water color painting

Customer Question

My father has an original Ed Walaitis water color painting given to him for a wedding gift as he was my dads boss at the Chicago tribune. It's name of the painting is called the boat launching from gills rock Wisconsin circa 1961. Back of painting says Door county Wisconsin. Is it worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you.

Edward Walaitis was a self-taught artist whose professional work graced different mediums, from greeting cards to the Chicago Tribune Magazine.

He received many awards for his watercolors, from city scapes to carousel horses. "He was known for his versatility of subjects," said daughter Maria Walaitis Barrett.

Mr. Walaitis, 91, of New Buffalo, Mich., and formerly of Barrington, who once directed the Tribune's advertising art department, died Friday, Feb. 25, in his home of natural causes.

Born in Bayonne, N.J., Mr. Walaitis visited relatives in Lithuania with his mother when he was a year old. They were stranded there at the outbreak of World War I and remained there after the war. When he was 16 he moved to New York City, where he worked various jobs before becoming a commercial layout artist for Macy's Department Store.

In the early 1940s he moved to Chicago and worked for Montgomery Ward as an artist. He later did freelance work. In 1945, the year he married his wife, Marcia, Mr. Walaitis joined the advertising art department of the Tribune. He later became its director. He also spent 15 years in the editorial art department.

Other survivors include his son, Chester; daughter, ***** *****; and five grandchildren. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m. Wednesday until an 11:30 a.m. service in Petkus Lemont Funeral Home, 12401 S. Archer Ave., Lemont.

Eds paintings range in value 395.00 to 450.00 from what I have found in prior auction sales. His paintings have sold one at Bonham Auction house in San Francisco and four on ebay.com If you are looking to sell this I would suggest etsy.com rubylane.com or contact

Bonham Auction House Customer Services & Bids (San Francisco)

Customer services

Tel: +1(###) ###-####/p>

Fax: +1(###) ###-####/p>

*****@******.***

thank you for coming to justanswer. If I may be of further service please let me know. I am happy tohelp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response but I already found your reply online and knew most of the information from my father as he worked with Ed Walaitis. So is my 40.00 dollars refundable?

The biography I found at the artprice site along with the history of sold paintings. I understood you wanted to know about the artist and his value on paintings? Is there a certain aspect you would like to know other then the value and biography of the artist?

Customer services

Tel: +1(###) ###-####/p>

Fax: +1(###) ###-####/p>***@******.***

I have no control on the money end of the site and will pass your request on to the site administrators. I am only a subcontractor here and answer questions giving certified appraisals. I am paid only after my answers are rated.