Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Among many other things, recently inherited this antique

Customer Question

Among many other things, recently inherited this antique tiger oak, 3 drawer with skeleton key Sideboard. Can you tell me anything about it? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brenda,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your pretty tiger oak sideboard.

Thanks for the picture.

Does it have a top section or a backboard, or is the entire piece in the frame of your photo?

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No top piece, just basically a cabinet with the rounded glass and there is a shelf inside the cabinet. It was previously used to display the beautiful cut crystal, which I also inherited. It also has all of the original hardware on it.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the extra information and photos of the hardware, that helps a lot.

This is certainly a very pretty piece of furniture and unusual with its bow fronted design to the glass cabinet and elegant serpentine base and lower drawer.

The use of quarter sawn oak, which creates the distinctive tiger stripes -resulting in a highly decorative effect- became popular and much used in the 1920s and 1930s which is when your cabinet dates to. The wood was applied as a veneer, in so-called "book-matched" strips, which enabled the cabinet maker to create those evenly matched pairs of sections that are mirror images of each other, as on the serpentine drawer front. With its short cabriole legs, and the shape of the scroll fronted frieze drawers, its design is intended to evoke the American empire period of the mid-1800s.

As for value, it's hard to find a recent comparable of the same date and style in the auction sales records, and bearing in mind that tiger oak is not quite so 'in' as it was, say, 10 or 15 years ago, having said that, your cabinet would certainly generate some interested bidding if it came up for auction. At a good antique auction house this would fetch in the range of $600 - $1000. It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of $2000 and is what you should insure it for.

I do hope this helps is helpful information.

Best wishes,

Robert

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.