Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have some Iris Multi Color Royal Staffordshire dishes from

Customer Question

I have some Iris Multi Color Royal Staffordshire dishes from Ireland. Have been searching for information for a long time and can rarely find any piece online, via replacements, ebay, antique sites or antique shops. I would like to know if there is any
history on them (why the multi color so rare, when there is tons of it in the 2 color for sale) and the value of them. My last resort would be to try go to the grandson of the original owner. Thank you, Barbara
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

These pieces are from England and not from Ireland. They were made by Wilkinson Ltd (Arthur J Wilkinson, Ltd) of Burslem, Staffordshire, England in 1907 in the art nouveau transferware IRIS pattern. This is not multicolor transferware, it is technically called 'clobbered' transferware meaning that there was a main transfer design in the brown/rust color and the other colors were enamel paint applied on top of the transfer. Multi-colored transferware is when all of the design is in transfer but in two or three colors (pink/green or yellow/black being the most popular). This pattern in the Iris pattern by Wilkinson in 1907 has the following values; platter $85.00, Sauce Tureen with under plate and ladle, $65.00.

The market for transferware has become very soft in the past 5 years, so I have valued these to reflect the recent price drop. I am a member of the Transferware Collectors Club which is an international group that meets several times a year to discuss the collections and the current market.

Please do enjoy these pieces!

Please also click the stars to rate me, thank you.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer. I am following up to see if there was anything else that you needed to know about this set. If not, please do click the stars to close the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ummm... a chipped lid to the large Terrine sold for $275, and I was offered $1200 for the platter. The blue and white platters, which there are tons of, are $85? Not sure where you are getting these comparative prices from, have you seen anything on your end in this color scheme that has sold?Thank you,
Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If so, can you share that information with me?
Sorry, hit send before I finished my email.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have seen pieces in this color scheme that have sold. I have access to paid databases for sold items and these prices that I found reflect the past 1 year of sales. The clobbered version of this pattern is actually not rare and are the same value as the flow blue pieces (flow blue is created differently than transfer ware). Just because there aren't pieces on the internet right now does make a piece rare. Clobbered transfer ware in general is on the low end of the collecting spectrum. If someone offered you 1200 for the platter, you should take it! The prices for transfer ware right now are at their lowest values in 20 years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK good to know, thanks.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Please do click the stars as this is how the site compensates me for my time.