Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I HAVE THREE AMERICAN PAINTINGS FROM THE 19TH CENTURY THAT

Customer Question

I HAVE THREE AMERICAN PAINTINGS FROM THE 19TH CENTURY THAT ARE FROM THE ESTATE OF THE GENTLEMAN WHO WAS THE OFFICIAL IN CHARGE OF NEW YORK'S GEOLOGICAL SURVEYS IN THE 1930'S. OR HE HELD SOME SUCH TITLE...STATE ARCHEOLOGIST. HE ALSO LIVED ABOVE NY IN THE VALLEY. HIS TWO DAUGHTERS VACATIONED IN Hagerstown INDIANA DURING THE 30'S AND 40'S AND KEPT A HOUSE HERE. THESE PAINTINGS ARE OBVIOUSLY HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL PAINTINGS. THEY ARE UNSIGNED. I HAD THEM FRAMED. TWO ARE A PAIR AND ARE OIL ON CANVAS AND ONE IS OIL ON FIBERBOARD. THESE ARE NOT STUDENT WORKS. WILL BE GLAD TO SEND PHOTOS. (I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET PHOTOS ON MY COMPUTER.)
I HAVE 3 PAINTINGS I NEED TO HAVE VALUED. FOR AUCTION I WAS GIVEN THEM FROM A HOUSE HERE IN TOWN ABOUT 40 YEARS AGO BY THE CARETAKER. THE HOUSE WAS OWNED BY 2 SISTERS AND THE SISTERS HAD DIED. THEY WERE DAUGHTERS OF THE STATE ARCHEOLOGIST OF NY STATE .
THEY LIVED NORTH OF THE CITY OF NY IN THE VALLEY DURING TH FOR YOUR EVALUATION.E 30'S AND 40'S.AND SUMMERED IN HAGERSTOWN iNDIANA. THEY ARE DEFINITELY OF THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL THERE IS A PAIR 36" X 22" OIL ON CANVAS IN MODERATELY GOOD SHAPE. THE CURAT0R
OF THE LOCAL ART MUSEUM SAYS THEY ARE RESTORABLE. THEY ARE NOT SIGNED AND THEY ARE NOT STUDENT WORKS. THE THIRD IS A MASTERPIECE OIL ON FIBERBOARD UNSIGNED, 18 X 24 THE CURATOR WAS IMPRESSED BY IT .I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND PHOTOS OF EACH. FOR YOUR EVALUATION.
ALL 3 ARE LANDSCAPES.. WITH STREAMS AND WATERFALLS.THE THIRD HAS SHEEP IN THE LOWER THIRD WITH A STREAM AND TREES IN THE BACKGROUND.THE CURATOR SAID THE THIRD WAS UNDOUBTABLY PAINTED BY A PROMINENT ARTIST. IF YOU WILL GIVE ME AN ADDRESS I WILL SEND YOU THE
PHOTOS.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You will need to have these looked at in person by a Fine Art Appraiser in order for them to give you the values on these. They will need to inspect them to determine the value. Without a signature these cannot be valued on line.

You can find an appraiser in your area online or in the yellow pages. You might also contact a local Art Gallery they can help find a Certified Appraiser, in your area.

Or if you like I can find a list of appraisers for you.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda..i thank you. I will have to call the local museum and get their opinion. I hope they can give me a name of a qualified appraiser.. I believe these to be important, even unsignred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WAS AN ELEMENTARY ART TEACHER FOR 38 YEARS IN THE LOCAL SCHOOL SYSTEM. AND HAVE COLLECTED AN IMMENSE AMOUNT OF INDIANA ARTISTS' WORKS OF THE MID AND LATE 20TH CENTURY. I AM AUCTIONING THEM OFF TO SETTLE MY ESTATE.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

That is a very good idea. I also believe these are very important. They should know someone that can help you. You might try the Historical Museum also. Your collection sounds wonderful!

Good luck, if you need me you can always come back to this question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GLENDA MY FRIEIND. I TOOK PICTURES OF MY PAINTINGS AND I WILL SEND YOU A COPY OF EACN ONE. IF YOU WILL GIVE ME AN ADDRESS. IT SEEMS I HAVE 4 (FOUR) HUDSON RIVER VALLEY PAINTINGS. NONE ARE SIGNED.
I ALSO HAVE AN IMPORTANT PORTRAIT ALSO UNSIGNED.I THINK IT IS A ROBERT HENRI OR SOMEONE IN THE ASHCAN SCHOOL, SHOULD I EXPRESS GLEE NOW OR NO!!!!!!!!!!. I WILL SEND SOME OF MY OWN STUFF. AND ask your opinion as to its value Kermit Thomas.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I think you need to take your art work to an appraiser so they can look at them in person. These are important works and need to be looked at by an art appraiser. These cannot be valued online. Since we cannot see them in person.

I can get you a list of appraisers you can contact in your area if you need me to.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS AGAIN......HOPING I CAN FIND AN APPRAISER LOCALLY .KERMIT THOMAS..
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I think you should, just check the yellow pages and also check the International Society of Appraisers. They have a large listing.

Glenda