Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a chandelier stamped S A V trying to find out

Customer Question

I have a chandelier stamped S A V trying to find out something about it. I know it was bought as an antique in 1948 and was at that time quite expensive. The wirering needs to be fixed so my questions is whether I should spend the money on this chandelier, or better to buy a new one.
I do not have the crystals. Have a 2 foot chain and a "pineapple"
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some more pictures
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is a fine dore chandelier, made in the French Empire style. You would be best to have the wiring repaired as opposed to buying a new fixture.

Is there evidence on this hanging light fixture that it was once converted from gas to electric? As well, is there evidence of small holes for attaching the crystals that you do not have?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Nora,
perhaps you could give me some more info ie. does the stamp mean anything to you? What is the value if selling to antiques dealer?It does not seem to have been converted from gas.There are many small holes for Crystals, you can for example see one just above the female figure head on the attached picture.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge to you in hopes that you can get some second opinions. The style, and outside wiring do lead me to believe that this was converted from gas. I have not found a match to the SAV initials.

~Nora