rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have just acquired a candelabra with the arm & hammer of

Customer Question

I have just acquired a candelabra with the arm & hammer mark of E. G. Webster & Son with what I presume to be the date 1903. It ia also marked hard white metal quadruple plated. The arms appear to be brass but the rest looks like pewter with black finish that has worn and chipped. The underside of the base is quite silvery/shiny. I'd like to know what this is made of and how to clean it. Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a three arm candleabra made by Eg Webster and Son of Brooklyn, New York between the years of 1886 to 1928. The word hard white metal quadruple plated means that the base metal is a combination of nickel and zinc that was dipped in a liquid wash of silver four times, this is where the term silver-plated comes from. The whole candelabra had this same finish when it was new, but silver plating wears off over the years from handling and polishing. It looks like the plating is gone on a lot of this piece, but if you wanted to polish it, you should use Wright's Silver Cream (about 3.00 in grocery stores).

Please do click the stars to rate me, thank you.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer. I am following up to see if there was anything else that you needed to know about this set. If not, please do click the stars to close the question.