Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Can you tell me of this silver necklace that diamonds are

Customer Question

Can you tell me of this silver necklace that diamonds are and if they are how many carats of diamonds are and what is their price ?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello I see you have the necklace on a second post here. Thank you, ***** ***** post with the belt I am doing was a mix up. I would like to know if you have photo of the back of the pendant. This will help me in my evaluation. Are there any marks or numbers on the pendant? What is measurements of the pendant? Thank you I look forward to working on these for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.The pendant is width-1 inch length is 2 inches.

I think the chain is silver because there are mark but i want to know these are diamonds and how many carats and their real value ?

How long is the chain? The chain is sterling yes.

How large is the center stone also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The chain is 16 inches or 40sm.

The centre stone is width 8mm length is 9mm

Hello, thank you for your help. I do not believe the small stones are diamonds as they are not set right to be diamonds. The color, shine and cut do not look right to be diamonds. I have no way to say 100% without testing the small stones. The stones that are in question are small and darker stones and I would believe them to be: Cassiterite, While used mostly in tin production, fine specimens of the black rocks are also used as ornaments. The black gemstones are usually opaque, but can be translucent when found in thin crystals. The black stones have a metallic luster that makes them desirable for jewelry.

The center stone is: Purple Topaz

While most popular in yellow and blue, topaz also occurs as purple stones. A variety of imperial topaz, this purple crystal is a rather rare color of the topaz mineral. Varying from light violet to deep purple, the violet crystal gets its color from the inclusion of chromium into the otherwise colorless mineral. Topaz in general is the gemstone of the zodiac sign Sagittarius.

The chain is sterling and is marked as such. The metal on the pendant is a base metal. A base metal is: Any non-precious metal other than the "Noble Metals": which are Gold, Silver, and the Platinum group metals. Copper, Nickel, Bronze, Brass, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Lead and combinations of these are base metals often used in the manufacturing of fashion jewelry.

From the design and size of this pendant I would say is from the 1920-1930s. It is a very beautiful piece. The value would be 85.00-125.00 for this on the secodnary market today. Places to sell would be rubylane.com , etsy.com and also your local antique stores sometimes will purchase items from the public. Thank you and if I can be of further service please let me know, I am always happy to help. Thank you again.