Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We are trying to determine the artist of an unsigned oil on

Customer Question

Hello. We are trying to determine the artist of an unsigned oil on canvas that had been in the family for 40 years. Religious. Told its from the 1700's but not authenticated. Believed to be an Italian artist. Can you please point me in the right direction with finding out who the artist is ? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see more clear, in focus images of the front and back (do not remove from frame) as well as clear, in-focus close-ups of some faces so I can see the painting stroke style and texture.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the additional information as well as pictures from my brother and respond tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

Great! Send over images at your convenience.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The painting is 27 x 36 held by an interior frame. I have included 2 additional pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Checking to see if you received the additional information sent on November 1. Thanks.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Without a signature, I am not able to definitively state who that artist is who executed this painting.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

This is Wayne, I have been buying and selling artwork for over 40 years and can help you with this. It looks like there is a tag on the back of the stretcher. Can you tell me what it says.

Thanks,