Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have a large piece of art on what appears to be a board

Customer Question

I have a large piece of art on what appears to be a board with a very heavy detailed frame. It is signed "Meadows 1868" in the lower right corner
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this.
Can you post a photo of the signature close up of surface.
1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are a few pics
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, this is a textured print of an oil painting. If you look closely with a magnifying glass, you will see pixels or dots like newspaper print. This was printed on textured board to appear to be hand painted. This is after an oil on canvas painting by James E. Meadows (1828 - 1888).

James Edward Meadows was born in Mountnessing in Essex. (He is often listed as James Edwin but official documents confirm James Edward.) He was the son of marine painter James Meadows, Sr. (1798-1864). The second of five sons, he was not the only artist. His brother Edwin Lewis was also a landscape artist, Alfred John was an artist, actor and scene painter, William was a sculptor and painter and Arthur Joseph (1843-1907) was an artist who specialized in Venetian and Mediterranean subjects. James Edward is known as a landscape and marine painter.

This would have a decorative value of $100-150.

Thank you,

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? If not please take time to rate my service. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,