Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Alan, I just purchased a hand signed Edgar Degas Aquatint

Customer Question

Alan, I just purchased a hand signed Edgar Degas Aquatint Etching (??Monoprint). I would like to have you look at it and the Provenance items I have for it. I would like to get a professional opinion of its authenticity and estimation of value for insurance purposes. I can email you a gallery of pictures of the lithograph and also a .pdf of the papers of provenance. Can you be of help? My email is XXXXXXXXXX and my cell number is ***** Please feel free to call. If needed I can package the lithograph up and send it to you. Thanks. ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mr. Nelson,

The expert you requested is no longer available.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Image size 7 1/4" x 10 3/8"
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images, could you please include photos of the papers that accompanied this.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be for sure.... you did get the photos and the .pdf of Degas Provenance?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Is this the same as yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-SCARCE-SIGNED-DEGAS-Aquatint-Monoprint-Hand-Colored-by-Degas-AUTHENTIC-COA-/252010169077

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on ebay, the same
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

It would be in your best interest to contact the prints department of both Christie's and Sotheby's.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will investigate how to get their number and try to call them. Have they been involved in this lithograph in the past or is it that they have more expertise in helping with its authentication? Do they offer services to definitively say the lithograph is authentic? Thanks for your help.
One final question. Do you "think" it is authentic? Not a professional certification from you but your gut feeling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One final thing...... I sent in all of the information but no real reply. Is there a charge for this? No real answer about the
lithograph. Please advise..... Nelson
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I do not want a free trial or an ongoing consultation. I am only interested in this piece of work and do not have nor
will have others I will have any interest in talking to you about.
Thanks again, please leave me some feedback about all of this.Nelson