Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Diana, Looking on an old Detroit computing scale. We bought

Customer Question

Hi Diana, I'm Tina. Looking for information on an old Detroit computing scale. We bought it to create a statement piece for our home. It is missing two parts, but my husband was able to fashion temporary pieces so it works. Some of our questions are: where can we find original operating information (we can't figure it out with the slide weight and disc weights, etc); this came from a local hardware store and was used to weigh nails--the platform is missing and we assume it was metal/wood and not glass, but would like more info about maybe what options were available; also ours has a working overhead light with 4 bulbs and two interior bulbs to light up the mechanism--we haven't seen another like it, does this increase the value? Also, it has frosted glass on the platform side of the viewing window, but clear (much thinner) on the reverse side--the frosted appears original, as it is beveled--do you know if both were originally frosted or clear or is it proper to have one of each?
Category: Antiques