Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Need 2 appraisal one 1908 Magni oil painting and another

Customer Question

Need 2 appraisal one for a 1908 Magni oil painting and another for a 1915 Adam Emery Albright.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi There~

My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question, however I only assess one item per question here.

At your convenience, please choose one and send photos of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature as well as the dimensions.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi There~

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi There~

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry as I obviously attached the wrong photos. I will get the correct photos and send them tomorrow.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

Great! Send over images at your convenience.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the photos of the 2 paintings. I had them stretched and checked in 1995.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like it went through, but hard to tell so please let me know.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. What are the dimensions, please.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Albright canvas is 17.5x27.5 and Magni is 37x31 canvas neither including the frame. The Albright frame is his I believe.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I agree the frame on the Albright is his. On today's market, your Adam Emory Albright (1862 - 1957) painting will carry an auction estimate of $6000 - $8000. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $12,000.

The Giuseppe Magni (1869 - 1956) painting would carry an auction estimate of $12,000 - $18,000. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $22,000.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your time. This is notably different from 1995 so wondering why there might be much variance from then?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

May I know the range of variance you are referring to from 1995?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Albright was estimated between $18-20 and the Magni was estimated between $45-48 from memory.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The 1990's up to the recession in 2008 was a build-up to the height of the art market, during which all areas of art and antiques experienced an extreme upsurge in sales records and values. Those eras, though heady are not sustainable, and the Recession brought almost all areas of art and antique values back to 'reality', so to speak (with the exception of Modern & Contemporary Blue Chips that sell at Christie's & Sotheby's i.e. Warhol and Picasso). Values since have come down substantially and that is why it is recommended to have works re-appraised after some time to re-calibrate with the global economic market.

~Nora