Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a fireplace that is marked on the inside. I want to

Customer Question

I have a fireplace that is marked on the inside. I want to list this item for sale and wonder what price bracket I should put it in. It has lovely/ornate cast iron detailing. The item looks just like the Mayflower 3 1/2 I found on your site. (is "4" a bigger size? - not quite sure)
MAYFLOWER NO. 4
EDWIN A. JACKSON & BRO. INC. NEW YORK
From my research, the fireplace may have been manufactured in New York before the 1900's.
Some info.: [The company] started out at 315 E. 28th St. around 1880, moved to***** approximately 1883, and then to*****, where they were located from 1888 to 1941. They also did business under the name Jackson Ventilating Grate Co. The company name changed to Edwin Jackson Inc. in 1931, and they were in business in New York City under this name until 1996. They were primarily manufacturers of mantels and fire place fixtures.
Jackson's ventilating grate is found in The Open Fire-Place in All Ages, by John Pickering Putnam, (1882), also a google book.
The two brothers were Edwin A. Jackson (ca.1835-1896) and ***** ***** Jackson (1837-1919). The 1850 U. S. Census recorded Edwin A. Jackson, age 15, and William M. Jackson, age 13, living in the family of James M. Jackson, age 53, a farmer, in Richland, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In the 1870 census Edwin Jackson was 35 years old and lived at 40 W. 39th St., New York City. He lived with his wife, Jenny, aka Jane Foulke Levick (born 10 March 1842). They were married 9 June 1870. Edwin Jackson's occupation was "Grate & Fender." At this time he was employed at Wm. H. Jackson & Co., a grates and fenders manufacturer whose history can be found at the Wm. H. Jackson page.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have my phone number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added pictures. I also see that you have my phone #
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your antique Mayflower fireplace insert would sell at auction for a high average of $900 - $1200 on today's auction market.

~Nora