Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I recently bought an arrow back/ladderback writing arm chair

Customer Question

I recently bought an arrow back/ladderback writing arm chair that appears to have been hand made ....authentic? Reproduction? I've researched every where and cannot come up with anything
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Can you tell me the distance from the floor to the seat?Thanks,Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from floor to top of seat is 18 inches,flat arrow shaped spindles are hand whittled at point of entry to the first ladder rung (ie : backrest) and points vary in thickness and arrows vary in shape..legs,cross pieces,etc appear to be hand scraped
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

With the seat taking up the top 2 or so inches of that space?

Any damages to the chair?

Thank,

Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 inches....chair is in perfect condition except for normal wear....it's pretty cool that the bottem foot rung in the front is worn to show many years of foot rubbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Groove around perimeter of seat is definitely done by hand as are the marks (rings) around the legs
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

From what I am able to se in the photo, this looks like a late 18th to early 19th century New England writing arm windsor chair with arrow back supports.

All of the hand made marks and the construction are there.

The only thing that was really throwing me is that the piece does appear to have been refinished, most likely in the mid 20th century.

In the current market these hard to find arm chairs can bring anywhere from 550-850USD based on the local demand.

Again, from what I can see, this appears to be authentic to the period.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,I wanted to follow up with you on your question. I hope the information I left for you was helpful in your research.If you can accept my answer and leave feedback for my service it would be very much appreciated, as this is how I am credited for my time with the company.If you have any future questions, I would be happy to help with any antiques or collectibles you may need information for. Thank you for your time,Frank